Volume 90, Issue 64

Friday, January 17, 1997

double talk


NEWS
 

TIME WARP

The largest campus emergency in Western's history happened this week in 1991 when a fire occurred in Saugeen and Glenmore residences.

Twelve fire trucks, 40 firefighters, London police, campus police and physical plant staff were mobilized in response to a massive electrical fire in the power lines beneath the surface of several campus buildings which resulted in power failure.

The fire, apparently caused by a surge of power from a high voltage line overloaded onto a low voltage line, caused the evacuation of almost 2,000 residents in Saugeen-Maitland Hall and Glenmore residences.

When the alarm systems failed in Saugeen and Glenmore, some residence advisors and floor fire wardens were asked to organize a floor by floor evacuation using flashlights. There were no reported injuries.


To Contact The News Department: gaznews@julian.uwo.ca