Volume 90, Issue 69
Tuesday, January 28, 1997
|Questions & Answers:
1. How much is the fee for the USC's proposed undergraduate student Dental Plan? (1) $125
2. Who is the program director for CHRW? (1) Tom Everett
3. Who is the celebrity researcher at Western's 3M centre? (1) Roberta Bondar
4. Name two of the four recommendations made by Western to the Smith panel. (2) Government should recognize the role of universities in Ontario, stabilize and benchmark the government grant, universities should set tuition fees, strengthen student aid, formula adjustment and support for full-cost recovery programs
5. Name the provincial and federal lobby groups the USC is a member of. (2) Who are their directors? (2) Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance - Rick Martin, Canadian Alliance of Student Associations - Matthew Hough
6. Which two Western varsity teams are expected to take overseas trips this year? (2) Where are they expected to go? (2) Rugby team - Ireland, Football team - Japan
7. How much did each undergraduate student pay in student activity fees for the UCC phase three expansion this year? (1) $15.70
8. Name the Minister of Education. (1) John Snobelen
9. How many years has The Gazette been publishing? (1) 90
10. How many full-time USC employees are there? (1) 45
11. What was the score of this year's Homecoming football game?(1) 47-0
12. Name five USC operations. (5) Here are just some: CHRW, Infosource, Copy Centre, Exam Bank, Spoke, The Wave
13. Name any two shows regularly featured on TV Western. (2) Varsity TV, Centrespot, Diversions, Fashion TV Protocol, University Hill, Weather Western, The Moving Picture, Jetlagged, The Truth and The Youth, The Dave Show
14. How many points are in Operation Face-Lift? (1) 70
15. What NBC sitcom did the 'Western Mustangs' appear on this year? (1) Third Rock From The Sun
16. How much will tuition be for Western's MBA program four years from now? (1) $18,000
17. What was the name of the golf course Western's campus was built on. (1) What year was Western founded? (1) The Hunt Club, 1878
18. Name two London MPs and two London MPPs. (4) MPPs Dianne Cunningham, Marion Boyd, Bob Wood, MPs Sue Barnes, Joe Fontana, Pat O'Brien
19. How many undergraduate students are represented on Western's Senate? (1) On the Board of Governors? (1) Senate 12, BOG 2
20. How many changes were made to the UWO Act this year? (1) None
21. What is your favourite TV game show? (1) Any show as long as its a game!
Name: Christina Gural
Year and program: Political Science Year 4
Positions held on campus councils, committees and/or clubs: Social Science Students' Council President, USC Social Science Representative, University Student Senator, Student Court Judge, Nominating Committee, Caucus on Student Governance, Foot Patrol Volunteer, Social Science Students' Council Representative
Political affiliation: I'm a Red Tory (like Jean Charest).
Affiliation with a fraternity or sorority: None but I wish I had joined a sorority back in first or second year.
1. Not to exceed $125 per undergraduate student.
2. Mario Cirelli
3. A female astronomer, J. Roberts.
4. 1.To give the university more flexibility in the amount of tuition Western charges students so the university could increase tuition rates without the interference of the ministry. To allow the university to charge students of different faculties differing rates of tuition.
5. 1. a)Canadian Alliance of Student Associations (CASA), b)Alex Usher 2. a)Ontario Undergraduate Students' Alliance (OUSA), b)Rick Martin
6. 1. a) Women's Basketball, b) United States, 2. a) Men's Track and Field, b) United States
8. John Snobelen
9. This is it's 90th year of publication.
10. approximately 200
11. There was a huge discrepancy in the score. I don't remember the actual score.
12. 1. The Copy Centre, 2. The Used Book Store, 3. The Variety Store, 4. The Games Room, 5. The Gazette
13. 1. Centre Spot, 2. Diversions
14. approximately 220
15. No answer
16. It will be $18 000 per student per year.
17. 1. No answer, 2. 1878
18. Joe Fontana and Pat O'Brien, Dianne Cunningham and Bob Wood
19. Currently there are 15 student senators representing undergraduate students. There are 2 students on The Board of Governors representing students.
20. There were no changes made to the UWO Act this year.
21. Wheel of Fortune.
In 50 words or less, state why you have chosen to run for USC president.
I am running because I believe I can represent the interests of students effectively. While serving as a representative in various positions, I have constantly made efforts to communicate with students and to express their concerns. I want to be able to address issues concerning students on a broader level.
To Contact The Centrespread Department: email@example.com
Copyright © The Gazette 1997