Volume 90, Issue 69
Tuesday, January 28, 1997
|Questions & Answers:
1. How much is the fee for the USC's proposed undergraduate student Dental Plan? (1) $125
2. Who is the program director for CHRW? (1) Tom Everett
3. Who is the celebrity researcher at Western's 3M centre? (1) Roberta Bondar
4. Name two of the four recommendations made by Western to the Smith panel. (2) Government should recognize the role of universities in Ontario, stabilize and benchmark the government grant, universities should set tuition fees, strengthen student aid, formula adjustment and support for full-cost recovery programs
5. Name the provincial and federal lobby groups the USC is a member of. (2) Who are their directors? (2) Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance - Rick Martin, Canadian Alliance of Student Associations - Matthew Hough
6. Which two Western varsity teams are expected to take overseas trips this year? (2) Where are they expected to go? (2) Rugby team - Ireland, Football team - Japan
7. How much did each undergraduate student pay in student activity fees for the UCC phase three expansion this year? (1) $15.70
8. Name the Minister of Education. (1) John Snobelen
9. How many years has The Gazette been publishing? (1) 90
10. How many full-time USC employees are there? (1) 45
11. What was the score of this year's Homecoming football game?(1) 47-0
12. Name five USC operations. (5) Here are just some: CHRW, Infosource, Copy Centre, Exam Bank, Spoke, The Wave
13. Name any two shows regularly featured on TV Western. (2) Varsity TV, Centrespot, Diversions, Fashion TV Protocol, University Hill, Weather Western, The Moving Picture, Jetlagged, The Truth and The Youth, The Dave Show
14. How many points are in Operation Face-Lift? (1) 70
15. What NBC sitcom did the 'Western Mustangs' appear on this year? (1) Third Rock From The Sun
16. How much will tuition be for Western's MBA program four years from now? (1) $18,000
17. What was the name of the golf course Western's campus was built on. (1) What year was Western founded? (1) The Hunt Club, 1878
18. Name two London MPs and two London MPPs. (4) MPPs Dianne Cunningham, Marion Boyd, Bob Wood, MPs Sue Barnes, Joe Fontana, Pat O'Brien
19. How many undergraduate students are represented on Western's Senate? (1) On the Board of Governors? (1) Senate 12, BOG 2
20. How many changes were made to the UWO Act this year? (1) None
21. What is your favourite TV game show? (1) Any show as long as its a game!
Name: Mark Smiley
Year and program: Fourth Year Honours Political Science
Positions held on campus councils, committees and/or clubs: 93/94 Foot Patrol, Junior House Rep. at Medway Hall, Assistant to Medway Special Events Committee, and a whole bunch of clubs, 94/95 Soph at Medway Hall, Senior House Rep. at Medway Hall, Member of the Pre-Biz Club, 95/96 President of Medway Hall, Member of the University Committee on Student Housing (UCOSH): Non-Voting, Member of the Purple Spur, 96/97 Orientation Staff Member; Chair, the University Committee on Student Housing (UCOSH); Member of the Senate Committee on Student Housing (SCHOP); participated in some Orientation Programming Committee (OPC) meetings
Political affiliation: I just vote for whoever has the best ideas.
Affiliation with a fraternity or sorority: Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity
1) The fee is not to exceed $120
3) No answer
4) Regulated privatization of certain vocational schools. Differentiated tuition.
5) Ontario Undergraduate Students' Alliance(OUSA) Rick Martin, Canadian Alliance of Students' Associations(CASA) Andrew Usher
6) Men's Rugby Ireland. Women's Track and Field USA
8) The Honourable Snobelen
10) Unionized or non-unionized? Counting the Board, or not counting the Board? The number sits at around 800.
11) 42-7 I think, I turned it off after a while because I find slaughters disturbing.
12) The Spoke, The Wave, In Print, The Used Book Store, The Gazette.
13) The Dave Show, Centrespot
14) Two, above each of the eyes.
17) I haven't got a clue. 1878.
18) MPP's Dianne Cunningham London North.
19) BOG- Two, but only one is voting. Senate-15
21) Press your Luck- No whammies, no whammies, stop.
In 50 words or less, state why you have chosen to run for USC president.
It's time for student representation, not government. While student groups must pursue pro-active solutions, in order to serve the needs of Western students the USC needs to start re-acting to change. Oh yeah, and I wanted to get up early to write a quiz after Charity Ball.
To Contact The Centrespread Department: email@example.com
Copyright © The Gazette 1997