Volume 91, Issue 32

Friday, October 24, 1997

cliff hanger


Student voters needed

By Brendan Howe
Gazette Staff

On Nov. 10, Western students will be hitting the polls to vote for their new city council but many do not know if and how they can vote.

The simple fact is everyone who lives in the City of London can vote, even if they are new residents of London. Jamie Swift, head of elections for London City Council, said any Canadian citizen attending Western, currently living in London and over 18 years of age can vote.

Students still need to make sure they are on the voter's list, he said. Those living in residences were given a form to fill out to add themselves to the voters' list but Swift said the response was very poor.

Anyone living on campus or in London who has not yet registered can go down to City Hall in person to put themselves on the voter's list. Those not yet on the voter's list can get their name added at any polling station as long as the voter has valid picture identification stating their address.

Students whose permanent residence is somewhere other than London can still vote in this election and, if they desire, can even vote in the municipal election in their permanent home, Swift said.

The polling station for all students living on campus will be in the atrium of the University Community Centre. Students living off campus can vote in the UCC as well or at a polling station in close proximity to where they live, he said.

Advanced polling for the election will be at City Hall on Nov. 1 as well as Nov. 3-7. Voting will take place on the second floor and will be from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m..

Western's campus is divided by two wards. Ward one is west of the Thames River while ward two is east of it. Students should call the election office at 661-4535 to find out more information or visit the city's web site at http://www.city.london.on.ca/Elect'97/mainpg.htm.

To Contact The News Department: gaznews@julian.uwo.ca

Copyright The Gazette 1997