Volume 92, Issue 46

Wednesday, November 25, 1998



Police Blotter

By Sabrina Carinci
Gazette Staff

Hooligans and fellow trouble makers invaded campus this past week and the University Police Department is working hard to put an end to all the shenanigans.

On Nov. 18 at 7:30 p.m., campus police received a report of a theft at Saugeen-Maitland Hall. According to Const. Wendy McGowan of the UPD, the student said personal belongings had been stolen from his room. There are currently no suspects.

Four attempts to break into various areas on campus were reported the following day. The first, according to McGowan, took place in the food area at Talbot College. "Beverages were stolen at this location," she said.

McGowan said the second incident took place at the food court in the Natural Sciences Centre, although nothing was stolen.

Both the third and fourth incidents each took place in two separate rooms in the Biological and Geological Sciences Building. "Both were also unsuccessful – it looks like they were the same person," she said.

Also on Thursday, the first of four strange incidents began occurring at Lambton Hall. Slightly before 1 a.m., a smoke detector was set off by an individual smoking marijuana in the stairwell on the 10th floor. "The smell was there, but no one was around when the police officers arrived," McGowan said.

Shortly after 12:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, a second fire alarm was sounded at Lambton Hall. According to McGowan, a fire extinguisher on the fifth floor was used on the 10th floor. "Certain contents within the fire extinguisher activated the fire alarm – this was malicious. It was an act of vandalism," she said.

Hours later, slightly before 4 a.m., the fire alarm sounded again in the building for the same reason. "A detector on the second floor was activated in the hall – the extinguisher was from the third floor," she said.

The following morning, McGowan said a theft of property report came into the UPD. The student was a resident at Lambton Hall and thought the theft may have taken place the night before during the many evacuation processes from the prank fire alarms. McGowan said there are no suspects at this point.

In the early hours of Nov. 22, at approximately 2:30 a.m., an ambulance arrived at Saugeen-Maitland Hall to transport an extremely intoxicated 18-year-old to the London Health Sciences Centre. "As the students are coming in younger and younger, we're aware about [underage drinking]," McGowan said. She added although police did not charge the individual, they still could. "Our first priority is to make sure he's okay," she said.

Approximately five hours later, slightly before 7:30 a.m., the university police were summoned to Bayfield Hall, on account of a noise complaint. "Upon the officers' arrival, the noise had stopped," McGowan said.

To Contact The News Department: gazette.news@julian.uwo.ca

Copyright The Gazette 1998