Volume 92, Issue 26

Wednesday, October, 21 1998

bound and gagged


Police Blotter

By Sabrina Carinci
Gazette Staff

The University Police Department reported a fairly quiet weekend and in some instances, a rather strange one as well.

At 9:25 p.m. on Friday, a male was charged with making unnecessary noise on Sunset Drive, just north of University Drive. The individual was revving the engine of his car, making the tires squeal. McGowan said an officer was probably close to the area and charged the individual.

"If we see a violation, then we have to respond to it," McGowan said.

Early Saturday morning, things got a little strange when a dead deer was reported on Windermere Road. When police arrived to the scene, shortly after 12:30 a.m., the deer had mysteriously disappeared. Although unable to offer the location of the dead animal, McGowan said someone probably took it. "Sometimes people get them to eat the meat," she said.

Minutes later, shortly before 1 a.m., a $210 fine was given to a male driver who had open liquor in his vehicle. "The higher fine hopefully discourages people from doing this sort of thing," McGowan said.

Shortly before 2 a.m., three individuals were reported throwing apples at pedestrians from University Hill. A female, who appeared to be drunk, was accompanied by two males, one of whom was underage. McGowan said for the most part the group was not causing a great deal of trouble and making fools of themselves more than anything else. "If that's all we have to deal with, we're happy," she said.

Approximately one hour later, a male driver was stopped on Western Road and the level of alcohol in his system was tested with the roadside screening device.

The individual, who was a G1 licence holder, was given a 12-hour suspension in which his licence was taken away and was fined $105, as the reading on the device was under the "warn" category. "Anyone under graduated licensing can't have any degree of alcohol in their system," McGowan said.

A malfunction in a change machine at the University Community Centre yesterday at 2:40 p.m. was cause for a bit of commotion. An unknown student had inserted a $5 bill wanting change, when the machine began spitting out a lot money.

The student had begun picking up the money when a member of the cafeteria staff, who had been watching, told him to put the money back. "She notified vending services who will repair the machine," McGowan said. The student fled the scene before collecting back his $5.

Aside from the various accidents and tickets, McGowan also said there were a number of items returned to the station, including wallets and personal identification.

To Contact The News Department: gazette.news@julian.uwo.ca

Copyright The Gazette 1998