Volume 92, Issue 20

Wednesday, October 7, 1998



Police blotter

By Sabrina Carinci
Gazette Staff

Eighty-eight separate requests for services were called into the University Police Department this past Homecoming Weekend, said Const. Wendy McGowan of the UPD.

The Wave had a fairly normal Saturday evening until approximately 12:30 a.m. when a fight broke out in the line-up between two males. Two hours later, just before 2:30 a.m., a second fight broke out on the patio, just outside the doors of the Wave, McGowan said. Police escorted one man back to his car.

At 1:15 a.m., Event Staff patrolling J.W. Little Stadium reported students in the football field, however by the time police arrived to the stadium, the suspects had left the scene. "The suspects had painted the letter 'E' on the field," McGowan said.

Back at the University Community Centre, a male suspect stole a fire extinguisher from The Spoke at about 3 a.m. and attempted to flee the area. "The individual was caught," McGowan said. "The fire extinguisher was recovered and returned."

According to McGowan, Homecoming weekend also had its share of alcohol-related incidents. Shortly after 1:30 a.m., the Student Emergency Response Team were dispatched to Saugeen-Maitland Hall where they aided a female student who had consumed too much alcohol.

Around the same time, an ambulance arrived to the residence and transported a second female resident to University Hospital for treatment for alcohol poisoning.

Just before 3:30 a.m., a floor don at Huron College also requested ambulance services for a female resident. "There were concerns of the over-consumption of alcohol," McGowan said.

Sunday evening, shortly after 5 p.m., an automobile accident, which occurred near the bridge on University Drive, was the cause for slight traffic problems. Although no one was hurt, there was enough damage to the vehicle that a tow truck was contacted to attend the scene.

Monday morning, a second car accident occurred near the bridge, in the Medway parking lot. "A car rolled into another car," McGowan said. She added this problem has been known to happen on occasion, especially when drivers fail to put on their emergency brake.

Although the police department kept busy throughout the entire weekend, nothing serious occurred, McGowan said. "Generally speaking, Homecoming went well."

To Contact The News Department: gazette.news@julian.uwo.ca

Copyright The Gazette 1998