Volume 92, Issue 10

Friday, September 18, 1998

cheque please


Mustangs hold off Warrior attack

Tom Baumgartner/Gazette

WATCH WHERE YOU ARE PUTTING THOSE HANDS MISSY. Captain Tamara Curtis refused to allow anything from stopping her as she led the team over Waterloo in the season opener.

By Justin Klein
Gazette Staff

Any doubt surrounding the potential of the women's rugby team this year has been erased with a convincing 23-14 victory over the Waterloo Warriors yesterday afternoon.

The Mustangs looked far from rusty from start to finish, dominating the game in every fashion. The team appeared not to lose a step from last year's bronze medal finish as their running game was too much to handle for the defenseless Warriors.

"We had some problems in the scrum," said Eric Ciezar, head coach of Waterloo. "Our biggest problem was our inability to stop Western's penetrating running game."

One of the players Ciezar was referring to was Andrea Haney, a full-back on the team. Her quick speed and high pain threshold allowed her to run down the field for Western's first try of the game. Haney also managed to convert on a penalty kick, before she was forced to leave with an injured right leg.

The easy victory is a testament to the hard work over the summer of a number of the team's starters who decided to sharpen their skills by joining the London tri-city team. The tri-city team is London's summer house league team and Mandi Batte, Ang Donovan, Daniela Liska, Sarah Scock and Kathy Attkinson all helped to contribute to the team's success.

Western fielded a healthy veteran team at the starting whistle, but soon found themselves looking to the bench to fill in for the falling injured players. Western's head coach, Natasha Wesch, had the confidence in her rookies to fill the injured veterans positions.

"I think that we have a very versatile team this year," co-captain Ang Donovan said. "We fielded a lot of rookies who really stood up to the challenge. Kelly Donovon, an outside center, didn't slow down before contact and managed to cash in on some big runs."

Donovan had to exit the game early after suffering from a mild concussion.

Wesch was more than pleased with the effort that her team displayed. "For our first game, I think that we played well. I am very glad in how the girls played and how they stuck to the game plan."

Wesch said the key to the next game is to work on the mental aspect.

The Mustangs travel to Queen's next weekend, where they face the Golden Gaels in their second game of the season.

To Contact The Sports Department: gazette.sports@julian.uwo.ca

Copyright The Gazette 1998