Volume 92, Issue 75

Wednesday, February 10, 1999


NEWS

SOGS questions fees

Controversial ruling overturned

Liberals offer solution

Social union agreement mobilizes

Music keeps people holding on

Investigations of thefts and alarms

Quickies

Caught on campus

Investigations of thefts and alarms

By Sabrina Carinci
Gazette Staff

University police have kept busy this past week investigating a number of campus thefts and break-ins.

Shortly after noon on Feb. 3, a student was caught shoplifting an $18 book from the BookStore in the basement of the University Community Centre. Const. Wendy McGowan of the University Police Department said the student was caught by a staff member outside the store.

"If convicted, this presents a problem because you'll have a criminal record," McGowan said. She added having a criminal record may cause difficulty getting a job or even entering another country.

Also on Feb. 3, university police received a report of a stolen VCR from a room in Talbot College. Although there are no suspects at this point, McGowan said the theft of university equipment should not be too appealing to students as all university equipment is labelled. "Should it be seen anywhere else as university property, obviously its ownership would be questioned," she said.

The next evening at approximately 7 p.m., a fire alarm sounded in the kitchen of a second floor apartment at Lambton Hall. Although smoke was the cause for the alarm and no one was hurt, McGowan said it is important to keep a close watch on the stove when cooking, as stove top fires can occur quickly.

On the evening of Feb. 5, McGowan said university police received a report of a break-in at the Althouse College cafeteria. Nothing was stolen and there are no suspects at this time, however, McGowan said the case is still pending. "If anyone saw anything suspicious, they should call us or Crimestoppers, where they can remain anonymous."

On Feb. 8, the UPD received a report of a theft from a secured locker at campus recreation in the basement of the UCC. According to McGowan, when the individual returned to the locker, the lock was missing along with his backpack which carried his clothes and wallet.

That same day, a fire alarm was set off in the loading zone in the basement of the UCC. McGowan said the alarm was set off by carbon monoxide caused by cars left in the zone. "There's always a possible danger of carbon monoxide poisoning in the area," McGowan said. She added it is important for people to turn off their cars, as there are offices in the area.






To Contact The News Department:
gazette.news@julian.uwo.ca

Copyright The Gazette 1999