Volume 92, Issue 78

Tuesday, February 16, 1999


Election results not final yet

High rising plans modified

Safety changes put in motion

Mt. Allison back at work after more than three weeks off

Neighbours to consult on mastering plan

Singing for the scroll

Heating things up with ice


Caught on campus

Mt. Allison back at work after more than three weeks off

By Becky Somerville
Gazette Staff

After weeks of fruitless talks and hostile negotiations, the administration and faculty at Mount Allison University in New Brunswick finally reached a collective agreement yesterday.

Members of the Mount Allison Faculty Association returned to work at noon yesterday, ending the strike which kept Mount Allison's 2,500 undergraduate students from classes for over three weeks.

Faculty walked off the job Jan. 21 after failed attempts to reach a collective agreement with university administration. Throughout talks both parties negotiated primarily monetary issues and challenged administration to meet their request to equal the salary scales of other small Canadian universities.

Joan Kingston, grievance officer for MAFA, said both parties met Saturday and eventually accepted a contract settlement proposed by a government-appointed mediator.

The mediator's proposal set a salary scale for the first year of a three-year contract and called for binding arbitration to determine the salary scale in years two and three, Kingston said.

VP-administration for Mount Allison David Stewart said he was pleased with the proposal and was relieved the parties had come to a collective agreement.

"It was a very good recommendation for the university as a whole," Stewart said. "I think that everybody is breathing a collective sigh of relief."

He said although classes may be extended and the exam period compressed, the university would make adjustments to ensure the academic term ends by April.

Sam Millar, president of the Students' Administrative Council at Mount Allison, said pressure tactics from students such as protests, the request for government intervention and the launch of a lawsuit, which has since been dropped, may have contributed to the reconciliation of both parties.

While Millar said he was happy to see the strike end, he expressed his disillusionment with the university administration.

"The administration did a really poor job throughout the whole strike and have not protected students' academic rights," Millar said. "Their handling of the situation contributed to the length of the strike and to it happening in the first place."

To Contact The News Department:

Copyright The Gazette 1999