Volume 92, Issue 79

Wednesday, February 17, 1998


Federal budget fails to address education

Hailing a safety solution

U of T gets movie blues

Western alumnus feared dead after avalanche

Faculty vote against open voting rights

Washing hope into disease

Safety issues spring up before break

Safety issues spring up before break

By Sabrina Carinci
Gazette Staff

With students preparing to clear out for slack week, the University Police Department has been clearing out the trash.

The week began with a mystery when officers recovered two stolen vehicles in the green lot at Saugeen-Maitland Hall on Feb. 10.

Const. Wendy McGowan of the UPD said both a 1985 Chevrolet Camero and 1990 Oldsmobile Delta had been reported stolen in late January. "[The case] has been turned over to the London police, so it's their responsibility now," she said. McGowan also noted it is suspicious that both cars were found in the student lot and this is most likely an angle the London police will focus on in their investigation.

Hours later, at approximately 6:45 p.m., the theft of a cell phone was reported from a room at Saugeen. Aside from reporting stolen items to police right away, McGowan said students should be reminded thefts do generally increase during week-long holidays such as slack week and individuals should take safety into consideration before leaving for the break.

On Feb. 11, a chemical spill in the Medical Sciences Building caused safety concerns when a one litre bottle of acidic liquid accidentally fell from a shelf, McGowan said. "Occupational health and safety were contacted – they made sure the area was clean and safe for people to be in," she said.

Shortly before 5:30 p.m. on Feb. 12, fire trucks were summoned to the Physics and Astronomy Building where the smell of smoke caused people in the area to call for assistance. "A motor had burned out – no one was hurt," McGowan said.

Delaware Hall was the site of a minor accident which took place on the morning of Feb. 13 where a London Transit Commission bus and a vehicle collided. McGowan said no one was hurt and there was only minor damage to the car and no damage to the bus.

Slightly before 1 p.m., only two hours before the first accident, a second collision involving an LTC bus occurred at the entrance of the Medway parking lot. Again, no one was injured as a result of the accident, although the vehicle which backed into the bus suffered slight damage.

Also on Feb.13, at 8:30 p.m., Foot Patrol reported two males fighting outside The Spoke in the University Community Centre. Upon arrival, one of the males had left the scene and the other was in the men's washroom. "The officers attended the scene just to ensure the safety of those involved," McGowan said.

The following morning at 1:20 a.m., a student received a 12-hour driving suspension for registering a "warn" on the roadside screening device. McGowan said an individual who does not comply with the warning will be charged for driving with a suspended license.

To Contact The News Department:

Copyright The Gazette 1999