Volume 92, Issue 70

Tuesday, February 2, 1999


Mad meds to march

Stabbing was self-inflicted

Grade of law improves

Mt. A strike stalemate

Province-wide tests possible

Corporately forumed

Pies fly in protest of CASA

Naimji focussed on the student body

Stimulating Valentine's Day


Caught on campus

Stabbing was self-inflicted

By Jamie Lynn
Gazette Staff

A fire alarm was the least of worries for occupants of Saugeen-Maitland Hall Friday morning after word spread a resident had been stabbed.

According to Det. Bob Earle of the University Police Department, at approximately the same time Saugeen's fire detection system was set off, about 1 a.m., police were called to the scene by members of the residence's staff.

Brad Duncan, head of London police's major crimes investigation unit, confirmed a 19-year-old male was found in his Saugeen residence room, suffering from what appeared to be a knife wound. A fire, which was burning in the room and had started in a waste paper basket, was promptly extinguished.

"The individual was spoken to by members of the major crimes unit and as a result of that interview, it became apparent that the injuries were self-inflicted and that no criminal activity had taken place," Duncan said.

Police and university officials would not release the name of the student.

Western's public affairs officer Judy Noordermeer said the university felt the situation was handled very well by the students who evacuated the building and the emergency response teams on the scene.

"The university was saddened and shocked by the incident, but also pleased that it was resolved quickly," Noordermeer said. "One can never predict events like this, but one can plan and have processes in place to deal with them, if and when they do occur," she said.

Susan Grinrod, senior director of housing and ancillary services, said the student has been suspended indefinitely from Saugeen.

"This person will not be returning to residence. The incident was serious and it certainly doesn't seem appropriate for the person to return. It was a decision made by the university."

Jason Squires, Saugeen's residents' council president, said students in the residence were quite upset and the reaction to the incident was one of great concern.

"People were pretty frightened, but once the police report was concluded it relieved quite a bit of tension as far as the fear aspect goes. Most of it was concern for the victim and the victim's family."

"People were relieved that it wasn't someone coming in the building. Everything around the residence is getting back to normal," said first-year social science student and Saugeen resident Darrell Shipp.

To Contact The News Department:

Copyright The Gazette 1999