Volume 92, Issue 72

Thursday, February 4, 1999


Argument ends in stabbing

Drilling the candidates

Western stands alone without "u"

Armed advertising to greet drivers

Presidential boobs on the tube

Dyer changes in Canada

Tan's got a plan for improvement

Argument ends in stabbing

By Brendan Howe
Gazette Staff

An 18-year-old male was sent to hospital and one was in jail after another stabbing took place in downtown London yesterday.

Shortly after 5 p.m. two men got into an argument in front of 200 Dundas St. which led to one of the men pulling a knife, said Sgt. Guy Debock of the London police. David Boyce was stabbed in the hand while attempting to block the attack, he said.

Boyce causing arterial damage and was taken to the university campus of the London Health Sciences Centre where he was treated and then released later in the evening.

Mark Thown, also 18 years old, was in police custody last night charged with assault with a weapon and possession of a concealed weapon. Debock said he would probably be kept at the station overnight.

He added the two men involved in the incident knew each other and each had a friend with them who was not directly involved in the altercation.

The attack was the second incident in the last month in the downtown core involving a knife. The first occurrence, on Jan. 16, saw two men stabbed outside of Ichabods Nite Club which eventually led to the death of Michael Goldie-Ryder on Jan. 19.

"Goodness gracious, another one?" said Rob Alder, a city councillor for Ward 2, after hearing about the latest stabbing.

Incidents like this cause some concern within the community about the safety of downtown, he said, adding it has a detrimental effect on efforts to revitalize the core. "I think the perception is downtown is more dangerous."

He explained in an effort to increase safety in London, city council has budgeted for 30 new police officers, many of which will be hired by next year. He said he hopes a good portion of those officers are devoted to downtown.

Mandy Alvaro, the director of Friends Against Senseless Endings, a group set up in remembrance of Goldie-Ryder, had a similar reaction to the stabbing. "I'm just shocked. I can't believe that happened again."

She said since FASE started shortly after Goldie-Ryder's death, its focus has changed more to educating high school students about violence. "When something like this happens it's imperative we crack down – especially in the public school system."

Anne Marie DeCicco, deputy mayor of London, said rallying behind groups like FASE is what the community needs to do to prevent more incidents like yesterday's stabbing.

While London's Mayor Dianne Haskett said she found it very troubling another incident took place yesterday, she explained the city had already planned a meeting for Feb. 11 to address the safety issue. Various members from the London community will be present at the public meeting at the London Convention Centre and she said a task force will be set up to deal with safety and the issue of people carrying knives.

"We simply cannot have more of these incidents happening," she said.

To Contact The News Department:

Copyright The Gazette 1999