Volume 92, Issue 63

Wednesday, January 20, 1999

elmer the elephant


Victim dies from stab wounds

Tuition verdict to come Friday

Renovations needed to fix safety concerns

Last call blamed for city violence

Posts may be toast

Carillon finds autonomy

Alcohol, thefts keep UPD on the move


Caught on campus

Alcohol, thefts keep UPD on the move

By Sabrina Carinci
Gazette Staff

After many recent car accidents due to the snowy weather, the University Police Department was able to stay out of the parking lots and deal with other calls in the past week.

Shortly before 11 p.m. on Jan. 12, a request for an ambulance was called for a student at Sydenham Hall who was having trouble breathing. McGowan said the individual was transported to the university campus of the London Health Sciences Centre at approximately the same time that a second ambulance was called to Alumni Hall, where yet another student was reported having difficulty breathing.

According to McGowan, the second individual was sent to the hospital and later sent home to recover. However, in the early morning hours of the next day, this same individual was sent to hospital via ambulance for having difficulty breathing once again. "It's extremely important to monitor a situation – it really is a team effort," she said.

On Jan. 13, a television was reported stolen from Spencer Hall and has yet to be returned. McGowan said both police and Spencer Hall staff are still following up on the situation.

Similarly, a report of a stolen VCR was made at Sydenham Hall on Jan. 15. McGowan said the UPD has engravers available for students to borrow in order to engrave their names onto their property.

On Jan. 16 at 1:30 a.m., police were asked to check the well-being of a resident at Lambton Hall, who had fallen asleep after putting the phone down to check on food he had placed in the oven. McGowan said the woman he had been speaking to called police when her friend did not return to the phone. "When police arrived smoke had filled the room – it was excellent of the person to call police."

At 10:53 a.m. on Jan. 17, the police were called on a request for medical assistance to the Ivey School of Business, where the complainant reported an intoxicated male. The individual, who left the scene with friends, was later the subject of a second call to police at 12:30 a.m. when he was reported to be passed out in Alumni Hall.

"An ambulance was called but the individual was sent home by bus," McGowan said.

To Contact The News Department:

Copyright The Gazette 1999