Volume 92, Issue 93

Wednesday, March 24, 1999


Second election possible

Liberals claim tuition decrease

Waterloo announces hike

Western to give high school students early admissions

"VP-fun" Cousineau says so long

Celebrity suicides raise bigger issue


Campus crime catches fire

Caught on campus

Campus crime catches fire

By Sabrina Carinci
Gazette Staff

An excess of fire alarms and fire related incidents were the root of many problems on campus last week.

A Cultural Caravan event came to a halt on March 17 when students participating in Persian new year celebrations had the fires they were jumping over extinguished on the Concrete Beach.

"I know they had permission last year. As I recall, they also had a smaller fire," said Insp. Bob Earle with the University Police Department. Earle said the group failed to obtain the proper permit to hold the fire jumping event and police responded by extinguishing the flames.

The following day, at approximately 6:30 a.m., two signs were reported stolen from a fire prevention vehicle parked at the North side of Delaware Hall. The signs were asbestos warnings, Earle said. "Someone decided the signs were attractive and took them. But we'll be happy to get the signs back and not ask any further questions."

Approaching 4 p.m. on March 20, police found an intoxicated male in front of Sydenham Hall. The 20-year-old was carrying white balloons and had a white glove on his head, Earle said. He added the male was escorted back to his room in the residence.

Approximately four hours later, police and the Student Emergency Response Team were requested to attend a scene at Saugeen-Maitland Hall where a female was found unconscious in a washroom. "She was found by another resident and transported to University Hospital by ambulance."

At approximately 7:30 a.m. on March 22, a fire alarm sounded in the loading dock in the basement of the University Community Centre. Earle said it is a common problem and can be dangerous. He explained many times people choose not to turn off their vehicle if entering the building for only a few moments. "There is a certain degree of carbon monoxide which enters the building and it can pose health concerns. People should be conscious of it."

Shortly after noon, police received report of theft of personal property from the ice rink behind Thompson Arena. "He left [a digital camera] unattended and someone decided they wanted it," Earle said.

At approximately 3:30 p.m., a second theft of personal property was reported from the Ivey School of Business. Earle said a computer notebook was stolen from the school, though the timing of the event is unknown. "Just don't walk away from your stuff because someone will walk away with it – if it's not in your possession then it's at risk," he said.

In the early morning hours of March 23, officers found an intoxicated male near the D.B. Weldon Library. "He wasn't a very happy intoxicated person," Earle said. "There was an exchange of words with officers and he was arrested and brought to the head detention facility."

To Contact The News Department:

Copyright The Gazette 1999