Volume 93, Issue 43

Tuesday, November 16, 1999


Patron stabbed at the Wave

Research to further pig/human transplant goals

CIBC donates $1 million to fund new programs

Project on garbage wins award

A glass of booze a day keeps the doctor away

Gas and fire cause false alarms, not panic

Chaplains to give peace a chance

Caught on campus


Patron stabbed at the Wave

By Nina Chiarelli
Gazette Staff

A stabbing at the Wave on the weekend has several people shaken up and the police asking a lot of questions.

Early Sunday morning, the University Police Department responded to three 911 calls claiming a male individual was stabbed at the Wave, said UPD Insp. Bob Earle.

Earle said the victim, whose name is not being released, was given immediate treatment by Student Emergency Response Team members on the scene before being transported to Victoria Hospital.

Earle confirmed the police are still looking for three males in connection with the stabbing. He said he could not comment on any specifics of the case as the investigation was ongoing.

University Students' Council general manager Jim Walden said the incident occurred shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday morning. Walden explained there was an externally licensed security agency on duty at the Wave that night, as well as additional Wave door staff.

"You take as many precautions as you can to prevent it," Walden said, but added there is no sure fire way to prevent certain incidents from happening.

Mark Serre, USC manager of bars and restaurants, said the Wave was hosting a pub for the Caribbean Students' Organization at the time. Serre explained there were 11 Wave security door staff on duty that night as well as six Diamond Security staff members. He added the external security was hired and paid for by the CSO.

"There were ongoing fights that night, but our door staff was great at breaking them up," Serre said. He added the stabbing occurred at about 2:40 a.m. after the lights had already been turned on.

Const. Wendy McGowan of the UPD explained protocol dictates the London Police are responsible for investigating any serious crimes in the municipality and hence have taken over as head investigators.

"The preliminary investigation has already been turned over to the criminal investigation unit," said Sgt. Leonard Zima, of the London Police. "They have several witnesses still being interviewed," he said, adding the project is a joint undertaking between the UPD and London Police.

While Zima said he could not confirm or deny any specifics relating to the case, Earle said he did not think there was any need for students to panic. "This was an isolated incident and a matter between individuals. This was not a group motivated incident," Earle said.

Western's VP-administration, Peter Mercer, said he will be meeting with the UPD, the physical plant and USC management today to discuss possible preventative measures, in case of future incidents.

"I don't think there is any basis for assuming the incident will be repeated, but I'm not going to sit back and wait," he said.

He also said if a student was found to be guilty of harming another student, disciplinary measures would be taken to ensure the perpetrator was punished accordingly.

To Contact The News Department:

Copyright The Gazette 1999