Volume 93, Issue 32

Wednesday, October 27, 1999


NEWS

Officer's salary to top USC's agenda

Western reviews admin posts

Olympic park gets federal support

$6 million and counting for brand new stadium

Downtown lights, cameras in stalled for increased safety

Downtown makeover committee unveiled

Briefs

Caught on campus

Briefs





Now you see it, now you don't


The pumpkin that so mysteriously appeared on the domed roof of the Hume Cronyn Observatory is no more.

Paul Specht, assistant director of operations and maintenance of the physical plant, said the cleanup was relatively small. "We have painters that specialize in this sort of thing," he said.

Specht added the cleanup only cost the physical plant about $500. "Whoever did it was responsible enough to use water soluble paint."

While the pumpkin, which appears yearly, is always expected by the physical plant staff, Specht said he hopes it is not repainted on the dome before Halloween.

–Nina Chiarelli

Western research strikes it rich


Western holds the winning ticket in a $9 million competition for funds, thanks to the combined donations of the Canadian Foundation for Innovation and the Ontario Innovation Trust.

Greg Weiler, project officer in the Research Infrastructure Program at Western confirmed this week the CFI will be donating $4.8 million, to be matched by the OIT, for funding towards four Western programs.

"This money will cover 80 per cent of funds needed to proceed with the four projects, so this leaves only 20 per cent of funds left for UWO to raise on our own," he said, adding the money will be distributed among the Advanced Biotechnology Research Centre, the National Centre for Audiology, Biomedical Engineering and the Molecular Structure and Dynamics of High Resolution Spectroscopy.

Weiler said the grants would allow for a substantial addition of equipment which will improve research infrastructure. Students will feel the donation's impact through increased training opportunities using of state of the art technology, he added.

–Molly Duignan




To Contact The News Department:
gazette.news@julian.uwo.ca

Copyright The Gazette 1999