Volume 93, Issue 100

Thursday, April 6, 2000


UBC may adopt differential tuition

Awards to diversify industry

Toronto's code jumps first hurdle

Problems with toxic blob continue to grow

United Way tips hat to Students' Council


Golf courses get jump start

Toronto's code jumps first hurdle

By Paul-Mark Rendon
Gazette Staff

The University of Toronto has taken its first step in combating sweatshop labour in the manufacturing of the school's official clothing.

Sonia Singh, a spokesperson for U of T's Students Against Sweatshops, said the group was confident the school's new code of conduct was on its way to being implemented.

The code, which included a living wage clause to ensure workers were equitably paid, passed the crucial presidential and vice-presidential review, Singh said. The living wage clause had previously been a point of contention between SAS and the university's administration.

"Essentially, they've rubber stamped it," she said, explaining policies which passed this stage usually remained intact until they were ready to be enforced.

However, even though the code had jumped its first hurdle, university officials said it was still in its preliminary stages and could be changed.

"To be passed and ratified, it would still have to get the Governing Council's approval. It's still just a draft," said U of T's public affairs officer, Jane Stirling.

Stirling said the code would make a stop at the University Affairs Board on April 18 to be scrutinized by administrators, staff and students. From there, the code would go to the Governing Council May 11, for a final stamp of approval.

Singh said although U of T's SAS was encouraged by code's initial success, they would keep their eyes open to ensure the fair living wage clause was included in the finalized code. "That's certainly a big question. We have to be a little wary," she said. "We're going to be monitoring it at each point and keeping all the people involved aware of the issues," she said.

SAS made headlines two weeks ago when the group conducted a sit-in protest in the office of U of T's president, Robert Prichard. The week and a half long protest ended peacefully March 28.

Helen Luu, a spokesperson for Western's SAS, said concerned members of Western's chapter were also monitoring the situation, since Western would likely follow suit with their own code, depending on the outcome of the U of T situation.

To Contact The News Department:

Copyright The Gazette 2000