Volume 94, Issue 54

Tuesday, December 5, 2000


City welcomes new mayor at meeting - DeCicco sworn in

UWO plans for core campus

York students might sue admin

Tim Hortons opens as strike finally ends

Vandals paint Saugeen in act of mischief

CFS protest draws attention to Bill 132

Queen's votes down de-regulation

Corroded Disorder

Tim Hortons opens as strike finally ends

By Aaron Wherry
Gazette Staff

Londoners have a better chance of finding a chocolate glazed donut in the Forest City, now that two area Tim Hortons franchises are up and running again.

On May 2, staff at the two local coffee shops walked off the job and were officially on strike until Nov. 19, when the employees accepted a new collective bargaining agreement with the franchise owner, by a vote of 14-1, said John Henson, organizer for Canadian Auto Workers local 448, the union representing the strikers.

Both Tim Hortons re-opened yesterday, he added. The contract guaranteed workers a 30 cent pay increase over three years and was much better than Tim Hortons initial offer of a 10 cent raise, Henson explained.

According to Henson, striking employees had been seeking guaranteed shift scheduling, but were unable to establish such a clause in the final contract. Henson also said the Tim Hortons located at the intersection of Oxford and Talbot Streets would have been opened sooner, but had suffered roof damage while vacant.

Patty Jamison, corporate communications director for Tim Hortons Canada, explained the company was excited to reopen the two franchises. "Like all of the franchise owners, we're relieved the strike is over and are looking forward to opening them," she said, adding Tim Hortons Canada had repaired the damage done by rain and snow to the roof of the one closed franchises.

She also said relations between the franchise owner and employees were on the mend. "From what we understand everything is looking very positive. This is nothing but a positive move forward."

Sarah Stevenson, a hostess at the striking Tim Hortons on Oxford and Talbot Streets, said everyone involved was happy to be back at work. "I think everyone's happy to be back," she said. "Everyone's gone back with a positive attitude." She explained all parties were asked to sign a contract guaranteeing they would return to work on good, positive terms.

The more than six-month-long strike accomplished a great deal, according to Stevenson. "It was worth it, we accomplished a lot. We made people more aware of how we were treated."

To Contact The News Department:

Copyright The Gazette 2000