Volume 94, Issue 4

Friday, June 9, 2000


All's quiet on the Windsor front

Coroner releases rave report

USC to branch out with for-profit arm

Police stand-off ends in tragedy

Walking to find a cure for diabetes

Prelude to an election

Protestors clash with the pepper spray

A world without the Hart House

Corroded Disorder

Police stand-off ends in tragedy

By Wes Brown
Gazette Staff

Shots rang out early last Friday morning, as a standoff in South London left one individual dead at the scene.

At 1:09 a.m. on June 2, Ryan Holland media relations officer for the London Police, said the police received a call from 36 Parliament Crescent, asking for emergency assistance.

"When officers arrived at the scene of the crime, two occupants from the dwelling fled the premises. It was later noted the two had received minor injuries," Holland said. "Police then requested individuals from the neighborhood seek shelter in their basements."

Holland said standoff shots were exchanged just after 8:00 a.m.. When officers failed to get a response, they entered the home to find 33 year old David John Melzer dead.

"The [Special Investigations Unit] was then notified and have been incharge of the investigation ever since."

SIU spokesperson Gail Scala, said the investigation including forensic tests, was still ongoing. "Whenever there is a serious injury or death at any crime scene, we are then dispatched," she explained.

Scala said nine SIU investigators were sent to the scene of the crime to evaluate the situation, adding everyone involved with the investigation has been very compliant.

"This is not an unusual incident, we have had many incidents similar to this. Maybe not specifically in this area, but in London as a whole," she said. "Our focus is to look at the conduct of the police officers to see if it had any part in the outcome of the [deceased] individual."

"The medical condition of David Melzer is considered personal information and we have not placed a time frame on when the investigation will be completed," she said. "It will be completed when it's completed."

Doug Kenny, a neighbor of the Melzer family and the home owner the two occupants fled to last Friday morning, said there will be some closure to the events, after this past Wednesday's funeral for Melzer. He refused to comment further on the traumatic events which took place on his street.

Mayor Dianne Haskett said last Friday's events were an example of a very sad personal situation involving a troubled individual and she added the police responded to it as quickly and efficiently as they could.

"First and for most was the people's safety in the surrounding area. We have received no complaints in regards to their [opening fire on the gun man's home.]"

To Contact The News Department:

Copyright The Gazette 2000