Volume 93, Issue 90

Monday, March 21, 2000


Police search for stabbing suspects

Councillors select future Board

Student disappears without a trace

Accusations fly over film-fest

City bars target date rape drugs

Week of crime highlighted by theft



Caught on campus

Police search for stabbing suspects

By Stephanie Cesca
Gazette Staff

Three Toronto men were stabbed on campus this weekend, leaving the police with one mysterious clue – a knife with the word "HANOI" inscribed on it.

Insp. Bob Earle, of the University Police Department, said the UPD learned of the incident at approximately 3 a.m. Sunday morning. "There were a number of people in the parking lot when our officers arrived," he said.

Soon after, Earle said, the London Police arrived on the scene and took over the investigation.

"The victims are not Western students," confirmed Tracey Frizzell, media relations officer for the LPD. Frizzel said there was an apparent dispute involving 10 to 20 people. She added the cause of this dispute had yet to be determined.

The group involved was believed to have come from an event held at the Wave by Western's Canadian Asian International Student Alliance, she said.

Tim Lo, president of CAISA, said although he had heard about the incident, as far as he knew, nobody from the organization was involved in the dispute or the stabbing.

A 25 year-old victim remains in London Health Sciences Centre, University Campus, in serious condition after suffering multiple stab wounds, Frizzel said. A 26 year-old was transferred to a hospital in Toronto to receive treatment for his broken jaw, while the other 27 year-old victim was released from the hospital with minor injuries.

Frizzel said police hope the knife found at the scene of the crime would lead to the person or people responsible, adding the inscription could be a nickname. "No one has been arrested yet," she said.

As the suspect or suspects left the scene, Earle said their fleeing car hit another vehicle in the lot, damaging it. "It left the area. We weren't able to locate it at the time," he said.

SzeJack Tan, president of the University Students' Council, said he would be meeting with the UPD and Western's senior administration today to discuss the situation. When a stabbing occurred in November, a meeting was also held, but the team could only reiterate the university's security measures, which were already sufficient, he said.

The investigation into the last stabbing was closed after the police failed to find the suspect.

Mark Serre, general manager of The Spoke and the Wave, said Saturday's event was fairly quiet. He estimated an approximate 150 patrons were in attendance. "There were no problems at the bar at all," he said, adding most of the patrons left the bar by 2:15 a.m.. "It was just one of those strange things that seem to be happening a lot on campus."

Presently, the UPD is assisting the criminal investigation division of the London Police and anyone with any information is encouraged to call either the police or CrimeStoppers.

To Contact The News Department:

Copyright The Gazette 2000