Volume 93, Issue 94

Tuesday, March 28, 2000


Overtime unkind to Western's hockey team

A tough start at CIAU finals

East battles West in finals

Mustangs honoured as all-stars

East battles West in finals

By Chad Thompson
Gazette Staff

SASKATOON (SK) – When the clock struck midnight on Sunday, one of the hockey teams in the Canadian Interuniversity Athletics Union finals turned into a pumpkin, while the other went on to national glory.

The Alberta Golden Bears met the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds in the finals after beating the University du Québec Trois-Riveres and the University of Saskatchewan respectively.

The Reds pushed the Golden Bears to double overtime, but the Bears answered the challenge and won the game 5-4, repeating as national champions.

Alberta opened the scoring with a power play goal by forward Kris Knoblauch's that baffled UNB goalie Ken Carroll. The Varsity Reds answered back in the second when forward Craig Soke scored, but Alberta struck again 14 seconds later to take a 3-1 lead.

The two teams exchanged goals throughout the third and at the end of regulation, the score was tied 4-4.

It wasn't until midway through the second overtime period that Alberta forward and team captain Russ Hewson took matters into his own hands, netting a rebound past Carroll for the win.

Despite the loss, UNB coach Tom Coolen praised his team for their extraordinary play. "I thought it was a gutsy effort on our part. We rebounded from yesterday's double overtime game and were on the ice less than 24 hours later," he said. "I'm really proud of our team and how we represented the University of New Brunswick."

Overtime was a common occurrence for UNB throughout the playoffs and Coolen said that day, the hockey gods were simply not on their side. "We've been fortunate to come out on the good side of overtime wins. Alberta just played a solid game."

Alberta's head coach Rob Daum said it was a hell of a game. "Give UNB credit – they had a real battle last night [against Saskatchewan] and played well today."

Hewson also praised UNB on their final effort. "It was a great game. At 3-1, we sat back [and they took the lead]. We came on in the third and were focused – we needed one goal. The first five minutes of overtime [goalie Clayton Pool] made some big saves for us."

As for his winning shot, Hewson said it was more than skill that put the puck in the net. "I got lucky. I remember saying 'get it upstairs.' I can't think of a better way to end it."

To Contact The Sports Department:

Copyright © The Gazette 2000