Volume 94, Issue 34

Tuesday, October 31, 2000


Western faces Laurier

Mustangs one shot short of target

Rugby Stangs march on to finals

Hockey boys dazzle

Mustangs one shot short of target

Gavin Bauer

By Sean Maraj
Gazette Staff

There was a shoot-out at "The Bank" on Saturday morning.

Unfortunately for the Mustangs they were short one shot in the chamber, as they fell to the Queen's Golden Gaels to finish sixth at the Ontario University Athletics field hockey championships held at TD Waterhouse stadium over the weekend.

The game on Saturday capped a second loss for the Mustangs in two days, as Western fell in a hard fought game against York, 3-1 on Friday afternoon.

Western, which went into the OUA finals as the underdogs of the tournament, opened their play against York, after being handily defeated by the Yeowomen only two weeks before.

Despite several attempts on the net, Western was unable to pierce the tight York defence until late in the game with a goal by team co-captain and midfielder Jenn Kicis. For Western it was too little too late, as York advanced to the semifinal round while the Mustangs were forced to play for fifth at the tournament.

York head coach, Sarah Forbes, said she was happy with her team's effort in the game and commended the Mustangs for putting together a solid second half.

"We played well, we had a really good first half," Forbes said. "We had a lull in the second half and the Mustangs really picked up."

After the game Kicis said she was also extremely happy with her team's effort and pointed to the second half as perhaps one of the best moments of the Western season.

"I think we incorporated everything we did in practice. I was really proud of how we played for sure – we definitely dominated the second half," she said.

The early Saturday morning game between Queen's and Western turned out to be one of the most hotly contested games of the tournament. The game remained at 1-1 to the end of regular time; then came the penalty shots. Both teams remained to form until the end, as the game finally ended on the last penalty shot taken by Queen's and secured the win for the Golden Gaels.

"We missed some opportunities and should have finished it in regular time," said Western head coach, Keith Concisom. "I wouldn't say we were happy, generally it was a good showing, against a good team."

Queen's head coach, Richard Bennett, said he was also happy with how his team played in their narrow victory and thought at the very least it was an exciting game.

"I would have liked to win in regulation, but it was nice to win that one," he said after the game. "We went out and scored before Western. It was a good game, a good exciting game."

With this loss, the Mustangs finished sixth overall at the OUA tournament ending their season for another year. Western co-captain and defenceman, Andrea Huckins, in her last year with the team, said she was happy with how her team played during an often tough season.

"It was a tough season, I'm proud of the way the girls played to finish the season strong," she said.

To Contact The Sports Department:

Copyright The Gazette 2000