Volume 94, Issue 85

Friday, March 2, 2001


Mustang slay Warriors 3-2 - Take the series lead

Guelph goes bye bye

UWO ballers named to All-Star teams

From unknown to unbelievable

Janischewski named to CIAU All-Canadian team

Mustang slay Warriors 3-2 - Take the series lead

By Dave Martin
Gazette Staff

The Western men's hockey team started their best-of-three series against the Waterloo Warriors off on the right foot Wednesday night, with an impressive 3-2 win, taking a 1-0 lead in the Ontario University Athletics West Division final.

The Mustangs took it to Waterloo right from the opening face-off, controlling most of the play in the first period. Despite firing 20 shots at Waterloo goalie Jake McCracken, it was to no avail for the Mustangs as both teams went to the dressing rooms tied at zeros after the first period.

The same held true in the second period with Western firing on all cylinders, but unable to score until the 12 minute mark of the period, when first-year winger Jeff Martin wired a slapshot from the face-off dot.

Martin's goal got the offence rolling. Shortly thereafter Western defenceman Steve Manley deposited a rebound after sneaking in weak-side from the point. Then Martin notched his second goal of the period on a one-time off a pass from linemate Shaun Fairweather, who had two assists in the game just seconds before the period ended.

Although this appeared to be a devastating blow for Waterloo, the Warriors bounced back in the third period with two quick goals in the first four minutes. It made for a very tense close-checking finish.

Western head coach, Clarke Singer, was quite pleased with his team's performance, especially after a long layoff courtesy of a first-round playoff bye.

"I'm pretty happy overall with the effort, as we haven't played for a week and a half and the guys came out and were ready to go. They were excited about starting the playoffs and for the most part, played a pretty solid game," Singer said. "We had some jump right from the start and we did a good job of taking it to them with our forecheck."

The game's first star, Martin, noted that the team lost its edge in the final 20 minutes. "We came out strong for two periods and kind of fell asleep in the third, but we got the win and that's what counts," Martin said. "The team hasn't played in 10 days and we got a little rusty, which is bound to happen, but I'm sure we're going to come out hard on Friday."

Waterloo head coach, Dave Cressman, felt his team definitely competed with Western in the first and third period, but slacked off in the second.

"We can't be happy losing 3-2, even though it was close. We lost a hockey game that I feel could've been a lot different if we had played a better second period," Cressman said. "We came out of the first period where we wanted to be at 0-0, but then we got complacent and let them take the lead with some mistakes."

Cressman wasn't worrying about the lopsided 49-16 shot total, as their game plan anticipated the large gap. "I'm not concerned about their shot total as we knew it was going to be high. We're a club that has to be a very hard working team in order to create quality chances and capitalize on them," Cressman said.

To Contact The Sports Department:

Copyright The Gazette 2000