Volume 94, Issue 99

Tuesday, March 27, 2001


NEWS

Code of Conduct gets Senate's OK

Refugee camp staged in UCC

CFS lawsuit grows - UBC, Queen's, Alberta named

Fed funding lost to big schools

Ontario creating 57,000 new summer jobs for April

Don't steal parking discs

Briefs

Corroded Disorder

Fed funding lost to big schools

By Chris Lackner
Gazette Staff

Despite the federal government's recent $750 million pledge towards university research funding, smaller institutions are concerned about being left out in the cold.

David Robinson, director of communications for the Canadian Association of University Teachers, said a majority of federal funding provided by the Canadian Foundation for Innovation ends up in the pocket-books of the top 10 research universities in Canada.

"Many smaller institutions and researchers are left hung out to dry," Robinson said.

Universities can apply to CFI to provide 40 per cent of the funding for an individual research initiative, but the institution has to find other avenues to provide the remaining 60 per cent, he explained.

"Often, part of the matching funding comes from the private sector," Robinson said, adding smaller institutions, as well as those in less urban settings have a hard time finding private partners to contribute towards research opportunities.

Carmen Charette, senior vice-president of the CFI, said special incentive programs have been developed to ensure smaller universities receive a fair share of their funding.

"The University Research Development Fund was developed in order to ensure fair funding access for smaller universities," she said. "Institutions were given a notional envelope of funds."

She said the CFI takes into account the differences in research environments between larger and smaller research institutions and tries to develop a sense of equality.

"There has been some private sector funding, but it's not a requirement [of application]," she said. "[Funding is] linked to how much research is being conducted. Some universities are more research intensive than others."

Robert Forrest, VP-academic and research of Nipissing University, said it is tough for smaller universities to compete for research funding. "We do have some funding, but the kind of thinking is that money makes money."

Smaller universities do not have the extra resources and private sector networking that their larger counterparts possess, he said.

Western VP-research, Bill Bridger, said Western has received almost $91.4 million from CFI since its inception. "We're one of the leading [research] universities in the country."

Bridger said the CFI funding Western receives is matched by provincial funding, private funding or other allocated university resources.

CFI provisions for smaller institutions have given them an advantage over larger university institutions, Bridger said, noting his disagreement with the comments made by the CAUT. "They don't have to compete with the big universities," he said in opposition of other university claims.

Research funding, such as that which CFI provides, is essential to any institution, Bridger added. "There are two purposes to a university," he said, citing both teaching and research as vital.


To Contact The News Department:
gazette.news@julian.uwo.ca

Copyright The Gazette 2000