Volume 95, Issue 56

Friday, January 11, 2002
 
Search the Archives:
Tips for searching
News
Editorial
Opinions
Entertainment
Campus and Culture
Sports
Submit Letter
Contact Us
About the Gazette
Archives


NEWS

Operation Massive II?

LTC gets new buses, but long waits continue

Home-schoolers fight to get into university

Prof: Canada ill-prepared for threat

Lung cancer photo album

News Briefs

Operation Massive II?

Man who blew $30,000 goes for top spot

By Joel Brown
Gazette Staff


Former VP-student affairs Chris Sinal said yesterday he has decided to run for University Students' Council president despite a rather "massive" black mark on his record.

The current Huron University College USC councillor and student senator ended speculation yesterday when he confirmed he will be submitting a nomination form to the USC on Monday, the first day of a two-week open nomination period for the year-long, full-time position of president.

Despite being in charge of last year's Operation Massive – a dance party hosted by the USC in November 2000 that lost $31,193.43 – Sinal believes having the event on his resume will not sink his presidential hopes.

"Anybody who can consider themselves to be a good politician has a mark on their past record; it means they've been able to deal with crisis," Sinal said.

Sinal said he expects a lot of questions concerning the event and will be willing to answer all that come along. He believes he will be well-prepared, since he faced a large amount of scrutiny when news of the loss first broke.

Current USC president Mike Lawless does not expect an abnormal amount of criticism to be directed at Sinal.

"Every candidate has their challenges from the past," Lawless said. "A lot will depend on what the voters and the media want to focus on."

USC communications officer Tim Shortill said Sinal is the only candidate to confirm his nomination request at this time, but noted he has heard other candidates may soon join him.

Shortill – who was runner-up for the position last year – said the rumour mill regarding presidential hopefuls has been very quiet. "At this point last year, four or five candidates had already declared their interest," he said.

Last year's campaign eventually featured seven hopefuls.

Lawless said he would not be surprised to see a few unexpected candidates come forward this year.

"I think some people are contemplating whether they have enough time to run an effective campaign and whether they want to take a year of their school and life to go into the position," Lawless said.

He advised potential candidates not to think about any opposition they may face. "I think a lot of people are scrambling to do that, but it can be a big trap," he said.

"I remember spending the whole day campaigning around campus and in classes. Instead of going home at night to rest, I'd have to hit the residences," he said. "It was the most challenging two weeks of my life."




To Contact The News Department:
gazette.news@uwo.ca

Copyright The Gazette 2002