Chilling in a car
factory feels Somehow Hollow
By Dan Bowyer
I CAN DO WITH THIS GUITAR? Somehow Hollow will be rockin' out at Fanshawe
Guitarist Mike Casarin
of Ontario rockers Somehow Hollow, recent signees with Victory Records,
took some time to answer 12 Questions with The Gazette.
1) How long has Somehow Hollow been a band?
This August we will have been a band for three years.
2) How many people are part of Somehow Hollow?
Four. I play bass and sing, Kent Abbott and Brad Casarin play guitar and
Drew Clark plays drums.
3) Where did the band get its name?
Kent and I were at work in a car factory sitting on the rollers and we
just came up with it. I guess we felt "somehow hollow."
4) It is widely known that all members of Somehow Hollow used
to play in the now-defunct band Grade. How is your relationship with the
other former members of Grade?
Great! We play road hockey with some of those guys regularly, but I haven't
seen (former Grade vocalist) Kyle Bishop or (former Grade drummer) Charles
Moniz since Grade broke up.
5) How is your relationship with your new record label, Chicago's Victory
Victory really takes care of their bands when they are on tour, and we
have become friends with some of the bands on the label, like Catch 22
and Taking Back Sunday.
6) Your new record Busted Wings and Rusted Halos is due
in stores on Jan. 21 in Canada and a week later in the United States.
What are your hopes for the album?
Hopefully, we will increase our fanbase, but I don't care about the number
of records we sell and all that industry crap. A lot of my hopes for the
record have already been fulfilled the artwork for it came out
looking awesome and it will be released worldwide.
7) How do you stay sane on tour?
Beat each other up!
8) A number of bands on the Ontario scene besides yourselves,
such as Moneen, Lucerin Blue and Silverstein, have recently signed record
and/or distribution deals. What has been the cause of this success?
Being around successful bands makes us want to be successful.
9) Is the success of Ontario mall punk and trendcore bands, such
as Not By Choice and Sum 41, a help or a hindrance to the underground
It's a hindrance; it's not honest and really fake. You don't know if bands
like that are being real, or if it's all a lie.
10) A number of great records came out in the year that has just
passed. What was your favourite album of 2002?
Taking Back Sunday Tell All Your Friends.
11) And the worst record of 2002 in your opinion?
The Get Up Kids On a Wire. I tried to get into it a bunch
of times, but just couldn't.
12) Any final words for Gazette readers?
London rocks, it's fun to get drunk there!
Somehow Hollow plays Fanshawe College tonight, with special guests
Savory. Admission is $4.