Volume 96, Issue 84
Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Search the Archives:



Lakehead grabs bronze in double OT

By Ryan Hickman
Gazette Staff

Semi-final # 1:

UQTR Patriotes vs. Toronto Varsity Blues

Despite the absence of the host team, this weekend's Queen's Cup at Thompson Arena featured some great hockey.

With three of the four teams vying for a spot in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport National Championships in two weeks, every game had national implications.

In the opening game, the University of Quebec at Trois Rivire, the four-time defending Queen's Cup champions, took on the Toronto Varsity Blues. Toronto's star and Ontario University Athletics First Team All-Star Ian Malcolm notched himself a hat trick, but that was all the scoring U of T would do, as UQTR took out the Blues 6-3.

UQTR's Alexandre Tremblay, the country's leading scorer, opened the scoring in the second period and earned an assist on the Patriotes' second goal by Jean-Phillipe Paré. Paré then scored his second of the period to put UQTR up 3-1. Alexandre Piché, Jean Morin and Nicolas Poirier also tallied for UQTR, as they earned a birth in the Queen's Cup final.

Semi-final # 2:

Lakehead Thunderwolves vs. York Yeomen

The night cap featured the number 3 nationally ranked Lakehead Thunderwolves, who eliminated the Western Mustangs earlier in the playoffs, against the ninth-ranked York Yeomen.

Lakehead ran into the smoking hot Derek Dolson between the pipes and a physical team on the ice.

"We've had great goaltending all year," said York head coach Graham Wise concerning his stellar first-year goalie, who stopped 28 Lakehead shots.

Lakehead's own star goalie Grant McCune, made some great stops in the second period, but could not stop the rocket from York defenseman Sal Letteiri.

Dolson sealed the net tight in the third, even with some pushing from Lakehead on the power play.

Bronze medal game:

Lakehead Thunderwolves vs. Toronto Varsity Blues

This was, hands down, the best game of the tournament.

Toronto stormed out to a 3-1, but Lakehead did not get discouraged.

The Thunderwolves fought back and held a 5-4 late in the game before Toronto pulled goalie Jamie Bruno and Tyler Middlebrock knocked a loose puck into the net with 16 seconds left to send the game in to overtime.

The first overtime solved nothing, but the back and forth second overtime was finally finished at 12:21 when Lakehead captain Joel Scherban tallied to give the Thunderwolves a bronze medal win and more importantly a ticket to Fredericton and the CIS Championships.


Contact The Sports Department