November 13, 2003  
Volume 97, Issue 42  

Front Page >> Campus Life > Story

Sections

> News
> Editorial & Opinions
> Arts & Entertainment
> Campus Life
> Sports

Archives

> Archives
> Search Archive:
> Browse By Date:

More Stuff

> Photo Gallery
> Comics
> Contests
> Links

Talk to Us

> About Us
> Submit Letter
> Volunteers
> Advertising
> Gazette Alumni Society

CAMPUS LIFE

Ian Howes/Gazette
“AND SO YOU CAN SEE — BY ADDING COKE TO RYE YOU GET A TASTY TREAT.” This professor is divulging the secrets of the universe to his attentive class.

Brian Way -Department of English

You know those English profs who fill their lectures with convoluted allusions to books and authors whom you've never even heard of? The ones who assume a second-year arts student has read everything from Keats to Eliot to Homer and everything in between? Well, Brian Way is not one of those profs.

Rather than making his students feel insignificant and hopelessly unlearned, Way instead tailors his lectures specifically for the student population. This is not to say Way doesn't know his stuff; quite the opposite. He is one of the most intelligent and knowledgeable professors I've ever been lucky enough to have a class with (Eng 264E -American Literature).

However, he makes a concerted effort to keep students interested by interspersing lively stories and interesting commentary with the unavoidably drier lecture material. In addition, he is extremely friendly and helpful and has an excellent knack for making students feel comfortable in an interactive classroom environment.

American Literature has remained my favorite course, but not because of the material itself, rather, because of a prof who had the talent to make the material come alive.

-Megan O'Toole

Elias Polizoes -Department of Modern Languages and Literatures

Last year, I took Intensive Italian for beginners (Italian 002) with Professor Elias Polizoes. My original intention was to grasp a language that had always intrigued me. And I had hopes of kicking my Italian vocal repertoire up a notch by actually understanding.

Polizoes is a fabulous professor to introduce students to the Italian language and culture. With a particular emphasis on grammar, he helps build a strong linguistic understanding. He keeps his students awake by recounting stories of his experiences in Italy, from bar etiquette to dating rituals.

He was even wise enough to sense the need to spice up the class occasionally; this was when he showed hilarious Italian films and played current pop hits from Italy. Elias enriched the students' learning experience further by inviting the class to his home for an evening of Italian food, wine and conversation.

He is sarcastic, clever and a prof committed to ensuring his students not only learn the language, but come to appreciate the rich Italian culture.

-Dallas Curowi

Human Sexuality 153

How many of you can say you've seen one of your profs blow up a condom balloon on his arm? If you're in Human Sexuality 153, a.k.a. "sex psych" with Dr. Guy Grenier, then this is no surprise to you. At this point, it's probably clear to you why sex psych is my favourite class at Western thus far, but wait, there's more.

If any of you have ever tried to buy a Human Sexuality text book at the Used Bookstore, you'll know it's virtually impossible. This is because most students keep theirs at home on their bedside tables for later use. The Human Sexuality book is the Cosmo of text books, complete with drawings of sexual positions, techniques of masturbation and discussions on the infamous "G-spot." All joking aside, what makes this class enjoyable is not only the subject matter, but Grenier himself. He teaches the material in an interesting and engaging way, making the three hours of class seem to fly by. One of his first and most important tidbits of information was that "clitoris does not rhyme with Delores!"

Overall, I'd have to say that Human Sexuality 153 is the class in which I have laughed and learned the most.

-Lorraine Forster

Writing 101

We all went through high school trying to avoid those long boring English classes in which we were forced to scrutinize our own spelling, grammar and writing style. However, these skills actually come in handy at university.

When writing papers, it's easy to think a prof won't penalize spelling and grammar mistakes because she happens to teach business or science. In reality, it really does matter and you will lose marks for poor writing. Grammar skills are valuable and knowing what a prepositional phrase, a conjunctive adverb or how to actually use a comma will score you the A paper you need.

Writing 101 seems like a bird course, but it may be the most practical course you take during your time at university. It's a course I suggest be taken by all students before you graduate. It teaches the basics -nouns, pronouns, subordinate clauses, coordinating conjunctions, commas and even the dreaded semi-colon. The work is challenging in the respect that this is one class where you really cannot ignore grammatical mistakes, as that is all the professor is looking for.

This has real life implications as well -imagine writing a report for a high profile company, only to be recognized as the new guy/girl who doesn't even know how to form a proper sentence with a subject and object. Writing 101 expands your horizons of writing knowledge and will help with all the other courses you take. If you take it and don't like it, drop it. But this half course, with just two hours a week, is one that will make a difference and pay off in the end.

-Alison Stolz

International and Comparative Studies 291F -Mapping the Middle East

From 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. every Thursday, a class at Huron University College gathers to learn about the history of the Middle East. However, this class is unlike any other on campus.

Rather than approach the Middle East from a purely historical or cultural perspective, the class seeks to examine today's Middle East as a largely European construction.

"This course is about how politics and culture are not always the same thing," said ICS 291F professor Bill Acres, adding the course delves into the roots of the regional turmoil created when one attempts to lay political maps on pre-existing cultures.

Adding to the class' unique approach to its subject matter is the diverse dynamic of the class itself; nearly one-third of the students currently enrolled are Muslim, while an equal number are Jewish and Christian. In the end, students from various cultural backgrounds actively enjoy Acres' original approach to an often contentious subject.

" I've been out of school for six years and this is the class I've come back to take," said Willy Elejel, a third-year undeclared student at Huron.

-Chris Sinal

Melissa Harty -Ivey School of Business

Teaching Business 257 is not an easy task; there is a great amount of information that needs to be covered and a lot of redundant questions are asked. It requires a lot of organization and patience. Furthermore, most business professors are young and fresh out of Ivey; they don't know how to answer all questions and sometimes may be given less respect from students because of this.

Melissa Harty is a prime example of how to develop keen and successful business students. She is a caring person and genuine in her attempts to help. Instead of pointing out a student's obvious flaw, she simply states that although it's a good answer, it's not exactly what she's looking for. Yeah, yeah, we all know that is the nice way of saying you are wrong. But that is exactly my point.

Harty helps students re-gain their confidence if they present a wrong answer; she simply guides them along the path towards the right answer and patiently waits until they clue in.

Harty is devoted to her students and wants nothing more than for each and every single one of them to excel to the best of their ability and do well as a class. She is caring, intelligent and interesting. She attempts to make lectures interesting, even though sometimes talking in numbers for an hour and a half can get to you.

Harty is sincere and straightforward as to her expectations. She has won the respect of each of her students this year as well as previous years due to her award-winning personality, commitment and encouragement.

-Alison Stolz

 

 

 

Campus Life Links

     
© 2003 The Gazette  
BluThng Productions