Gannett hates cameras
EAGLE, Colo. (AP) - Cameras will be banned
from the courtroom during the preliminary hearing in Kobe Bryant's
sexual assault case.
Court rules specifically prohibit cameras at pre-trial hearings
in criminal cases except for initial advisements and arraignments,
Eagle County Judge Frederick Gannett said Monday.
Court TV, The Denver Post and the Rocky Mountain
News had requested permission for cameras in the courtroom during
the Oct. 9 hearing.
Bryant is charged with sexually assaulting
a 19-year-old woman Jun. 30 in his suite at a mountain resort
where she worked.
The Los Angeles Lakers star, who is free
on $25,000 bail, is scheduled to return to Eagle for the hearing,
where Gannett will determine whether there is enough evidence
to order a trial.
Gannett allowed cameras during Bryant's initial
appearance last month, a seven-minute hearing where his lawyers
waived his right to be formally advised of the charge.
Court TV lawyer Richard Holme would not comment
Monday. He said the judge's order cannot be appealed under court
Denver lawyer Chris Beall, who represents
news organizations including CNN, the Los Angeles Times, The
Denver Post and NBC, said he was not surprised by the ruling
and declined further comment.