February 17, 2004  
Volume 97, Issue 76  

Front Page >> Editorial > Story

Sections

> News
> Editorial & Opinions
> Arts & Entertainment
> Campus Life
> Sports

Archives

> Archives
> Search Archive:
> Browse By Date:

More Stuff

> Photo Gallery
> Comics
> Contests
> Links

Talk to Us

> About Us
> Submit Letter
> Volunteers
> Advertising
> Gazette Alumni Society

EDITORIAL

Letters

Atheists are blinded with science like Thomas Dolby

Re: “No evidence equals no belief,” Feb. 12, 2004

To the Editor:
There most definitely is a God.

This is in response to Andrew Kerr’s letter about his unfortunate position of being unenlightened. Just one question: what type of “material proof” would you like to see? Are you such a holy and righteous person that you feel God should be appearing to you in your dreams? Even if an angel were to appear in front of your face, you probably wouldn’t recognize it.

Science has disenchanted you. In response to your comments on “conflicting beliefs,” if you bothered to study these different outlooks rather than making sweeping generalizations, you would realize that most conventional religions are incredibly similar in their doctrines. Religion isn’t about which one is right, it’s about which one makes sense to you. Furthermore, “bloody conflicts” would occur regardless of whether or not people “looked past someone’s own spiritual beliefs.” No one goes around saying, “my God is better than your God, so I’m going to kill you.” They’re saying, “I want your land, so I’m going to kill you.”

Just because you don’t see miracles taking place in front of your eyes, it doesn’t mean they’re not happening. “Science is fact and fact is indisputable” — and the world is flat. You tell me that science can explain how one person can look at a beautiful flower and cry because they see the poetry in it, and yet another person can see that same flower and feel nothing. Tell me science can explain creativity, spontaneity and sympathy.

If religion has been “discredited” for anyone, I humbly suggest becoming educated. You’re not going to suddenly start seeing angels flying around but you may get a view of the world that lets you see beneath the crestfallen veil that science has put on it.

Shaun Schwarz
MIT I

To the Editor:
Mr. Kerr, you say there is no God because there is no proof. Well, what proof do you have that there isn’t one? You believe in science and facts, so prove to me there is no God. And while you’re at it, prove there is no Allah, no Buddha, etc.

Yes, religion may be a fraud — I can admit that in past centuries the Catholic Church created indulgences to rob the poor of what little money they had. But nowadays, most people accept their religion as it is and respect others. It is NOT a matter of “if there is a God or not.” It’s a matter of believing in something and taking comfort in the belief that a greater power is looking out for each and every one of us. These stories about God creating the universe are part of the belief that something out there created it, and it is only a theory we believe in, much like some scientists believe in the Big Bang Theory. Wouldn’t you agree?

I don’t disrespect that you are an atheist; I know lots of atheists, but they don’t seem to care that others or I believe in a God. Why should you stir the pot? I am a devout Roman Catholic and admit to have questioned certain things about my own religion. I am supposed to believe there is only one God, but that would be false. I believe that whatever glimmer of hope, love and charity that are possessed within every person is the true “God.” That people helping people are “God.” That “God” is in every religious community. That “God” can have different names.

What I think you don’t understand is that “God” is not a person, an idol or a thing you can reach out and touch. It is the belief there is good in the world and good in all people.

Erin Deli
MIT I

Wherefore art thou, Romeo coverage?

Re: “Revisiting a semi-forgotten genocide,” Feb. 6, 2004

To the Editor:
I wanted to thank the Richard Ivey School of Business for bringing one of the most influential people of the 20th century to Western last Friday to speak. I’m sure if the whole student body had been invited his words of wisdom and leadership would have touched us all, but he didn’t get to leave his impression on the majority of Western. Why is this?

I understand Ivey had limited seating and that’s why only Ivey students and faculty were invited. Rarely does anything that happens at Ivey interest me, but Ret. Gen. Romeo Dallaire? I barely understand why he would come to Ivey. Does Ivey understand who they had? Couldn’t they have given Dallaire a bigger space? Didn’t they think he deserved to speak to the largest audience possible? Whenever I hear this man speak he’s always trying to get to the masses and tell them about the horrific events he tried so desperately to stop.

Secondly, I want to thank The Gazette for their semi-forgotten piece about the retired general. I blinked and almost missed it. Now I do enjoy the articles in The Gazette (a little relaxation between classes is just what I need), but let’s put this in perspective. The Gazette gave, oh I don’t know, five hours notice and seven sentences for Romeo Dallaire’s lecture. Then you really pissed me off when I turned the page and the helpful Gazette staff was nice enough to give me two months notice for the Britney Spears concert. An hour notice for Romeo Dallaire, a champion of international human rights and TWO MONTHS NOTICE FOR A CONCERT WITH A GIRL WHO LIP SYNCS HER CONCERTS? Screw you.

Jessie Rodger
ICS III

Foul call on b-ball photos

To the Editor:
I am writing to express concerns about the selection and captioning of two sports photographs that appeared in recent editions (Feb. 3 and 10) of The Gazette.

First, let me emphasize I have been very impressed and pleased with The Gazette’s coverage of our varsity sports teams and athletic events this year. Your reporters have done a terrific job of covering our teams and you have also published a number of special features on athletics, including a summary of team performances from the fall term and the weekly feature of the Purple Pipe awards given to a student athlete each week. I know that our student athletes and coaches are very appreciative of this support from the student newspaper on campus.

The action photos, taken by your staff photographers, which often accompany the articles are normally a welcome addition to the written coverage. However, I was very disappointed and concerned with two photos that appeared recently alongside stories on the Western Open wrestling meet and the women’s basketball game against Brock last Saturday.

In both cases the photos were of female student athletes and included captions that were in my opinion demeaning and disrespectful. Society is already replete with negative images of women. Instead we need to be promoting and celebrating the fact that women can and should participate and excel in sport and that they are positive role models for young girls. The women who participate on our varsity teams are powerful, skilled and talented athletes who deserve respect. I believe The Gazette has a responsibility to ensure that all student athletes are portrayed in a more positive light.

Dan Smith
Director, Sports and Recreation Services

To the Editor:
After opening the Tuesday, Feb. 10 edition of The Gazette and quickly flipping to the sports section to see if an article had appeared about the women’s basketball team, I was both shocked and disappointed.

As many a writer has said, a picture is worth a thousand words, and the picture of the game spoke volumes. It did not speak to the talent, desire and will of the women’s team to defeat Brock, nor did it reflect the excited atmosphere of Alumni Hall during the game. It trivialized the victory, the player and the program.

In case The Gazette hasn’t noticed, which by their previous lack of coverage we would not doubt, the Mustangs women’s basketball team has become a strong and respected force in Ontario University Athletics. One can truly feel the excitement building in the community around the program and all that is lacking is support from within the university.

As the school’s student newspaper, we would have expected The Gazette to jump at any chance to bolster student support of Western. However, the caption and picture of Tuesday’s article speaks otherwise. How can The Gazette wonder why the university atmosphere of Western is not that of other universities when this is the support it provides to students?

Unlike our American counterparts on scholarship, we participate in athletics on a wholly volunteer basis. It is our choice and with pride that we represent the university. We would simply ask that our own student newspaper respect us when reporting our games.

Chelsea Elwood
Microbiology and Immunology IV

Spoke needs a scrubbing

Re: “Spoke to be renovated after profit plunge,” Feb. 5, 2004

To the Editor:
Although this plan to renovate The Spoke into a “lounge space” seems like a good idea, maybe an intermediate step should be considered first. Before dumping a bunch of cash into a renovation, you could try cleaning up the current bar. Perhaps if every table wasn’t permanently sticky and the bar didn’t smell like years of spilt beer combined with gallons of dried up puke, more people would be willing to go into the bar and use it as a so-called “social lounge.”

This renovation idea could put the University Students’ Council into the same situation it was last September, after the purple awning wasn’t well received by students. Maybe if The Spoke got some new seat covers, rented a carpet cleaner and used some Mr. Clean on the tables, they might notice more people going to the bar rather than leaving because it smells like a dumpster. If this doesn’t work, then reconsider the renovation; the students might receive this option better than the USC blowing our money on a poorly researched idea.

Dean Bryant
Civil Engineering IV

 

 

Editorial Links

     
© 2003 The Gazette  
BluThng Productions