January 20, 2004  
Volume 97, Issue 60  

Front Page >> Sports > Story


> News
> Editorial & Opinions
> Arts & Entertainment
> Campus Life
> Sports


> Archives
> Search Archive:
> Browse By Date:

More Stuff

> Photo Gallery
> Comics
> Contests
> Links

Talk to Us

> About Us
> Submit Letter
> Volunteers
> Advertising
> Gazette Alumni Society


Warrior goalies can’t stop Mustang attack or pucks

By Ian Denomme

Gazette Staff

Matt Prince/Gazette
THROWING IN THE TOWEL. An unidentified Mustang gets tangled up with a Waterloo player during Western’s 10-3 victory on Friday night. It was the second of three straight victories for Western over the Warriors.

The Western Mustangs’ men’s hockey team put on an offensive clinic Friday night at Thompson Arena in what turned out to be a historic night for one Mustang.

The Mustangs defeated the Waterloo Warriors 10-3 in the second of three consecutive games against their divisional rivals.

The result was somewhat surprising considering last week’s game — in which Waterloo managed to compete with Western — and Waterloo’s victory over a strong Laurier team the following Sunday.
“We’re disappointed,” said Waterloo head coach Karl Taylor. “Obviously, when you give up 10 goals you haven’t accomplished what you wanted.”

Mike Stathopoulos opened the scoring for Western early in the first period, notching his 10th goal of the season. Ryan Held made it 2-0 before the end of the first period, scoring on a power play.

Despite being out-shot in the second period, Western managed to increase their lead. Justin Davis scored a power play goal just 58 seconds in. Jeff Martin scored his league-leading 16th goal under a minute later and chased Waterloo goalie Jeremy Elliott from the net. Tom Brown made it 5-0 by the end of the second period.

Whatever coach Taylor may have said to his team during the intermission seemed to work briefly. Kevin Hurley scored a power play goal less then a minute into the period. Then Mark Accardi made it 5-2, getting credit on a Marc Andre Fleury-esque goal. On the play, Western goalie Mike D’Alessandro’s clearing attempt hit Accardi and bounced into the net.

That was as close as Waterloo would get. Shawn Thompson scored 26 seconds after Accardi, then Davis scored again and became Western’s all- time leading scorer. The goal gave him 187 points as a Mustang.

Martin added his second goal of the night, then Chris Rowan and Chris Eade each scored short handed goals in the last minute to round out the scoring.

Western was out-shot in the game 31-26, but head coach Clarke Singer was still pleased with the effort.

“We were good for 40 minutes, then got a little sloppy in the third and lost our focus. But overall I thought we had a good game — no passengers.”

Taylor was not as pleased with his team’s performance.

“We had no commitment to the team game; we need to be more consistent and the guys between the pipes, we need them to make a save.”

Last week, Scott Gouthro was excellent in goal for Waterloo, keeping his team in the game through 40 minutes. Taylor said Elliott got the start based on his performance in Sunday’s win over Laurier.

Despite the lopsided score, Singer thought Waterloo played well.

“They ran their trap well and they were solid in their own end. The team played well, but didn’t get results.

On Sunday, the Mustangs were in Waterloo for the third game of their triple-header.

The Mustangs won yet again, taking the game 6-2. The win was Western’s 10th regular season win in a row, their last loss back on Nov. 6 to York.

Western got goals from six different players in the game. Thomspon, Stathopoulos, Rowan, Mike Rice, Jamie Chamberlain and Ryan Hare all scored for Western. Mike Boyce made 22 saves in the victory.

The win improved the Mustangs record to 13-2.



Sports Links

© 2003 The Gazette  
BluThng Productions