January 27, 2004  
Volume 97, Issue 64  

Front Page >> News > Story


> News
> Editorial & Opinions
> Arts & Entertainment
> Campus Life
> Sports


> Archives
> Search Archive:
> Browse By Date:

More Stuff

> Photo Gallery
> Comics
> Contests
> Links

Talk to Us

> About Us
> Submit Letter
> Volunteers
> Advertising
> Gazette Alumni Society


Wave patrons spit on, harass UCC gamers

By Laura Katsirdakis
Gazette Staff

The University Community Centre broke out into a fit of spitball throwing and fire-alarm pulling when an on-campus event went awry this past Saturday.

“There were a number of disturbances [from] people waiting in line outside The Wave,” said Rohan Belliappa, the University Students’ Council’s VP-finance. Those waiting in line for The Wave were disturbing the participants of a 24 hour LAN party, hosted by the Western Electronic Gaming Association in the UCC atrium, he explained.

“They were throwing objects [off the second floor], and one person said they were spat on,” Belliappa said, when asked to describe the disturbances that took place.

“Fire alarms were also pulled [by those waiting outside The Wave],” he said, noting the alarm was pulled at 12:30 a.m. and 1:15 a.m.. Firefighters arrived both times to confirm the alarm was false, he said, adding the first alarm prompted some to evacuate the building, but the second alarm did not prompt a timely evacuation by Wave patrons.

“[Also], a single male went downstairs [to the LAN party],” Belliappa said, and the police had to be called to stop him from threatening and irritating the WEGA participants.

Dan Smith, manager of The Wave, confirmed the bar had to close its doors at 2 a.m., leaving some ticket-holders outside. Smith noted the issue was still under investigation. “To my knowledge the appropriate number of tickets were printed.”

“There was a large Caribbean Students’ Organization event [at The Wave] which ran until 4 a.m.,” explained Elgin Austen, Campus Community Police Service spokesperson. The bar had reached and surpassed capacity, and was not allowing more people inside, he said, adding those left waiting outside caused the disturbances.

“City police had a number of officers on hand to control those who could not get in [to The Wave],” Austen said.



News Links

© 2003 The Gazette  
BluThng Productions