March 31, 2004  
Volume 97, Issue 95  

Front Page >> Editorial > Story

Sections

> News
> Editorial & Opinions
> Arts & Entertainment
> Campus Life
> Sports

Archives

> Archives
> Search Archive:
> Browse By Date:

More Stuff

> Photo Gallery
> Comics
> Contests
> Links

Talk to Us

> About Us
> Submit Letter
> Volunteers
> Advertising
> Gazette Alumni Society

EDITORIAL

Letters

Technical foul

Re: “Raptors are losers,” Mar. 24, 2004

To the Editor:
While I agree NBA players have not been the best role models of late, I don’t think the Toronto Raptors should have kept this dancer on simply because of “the players are worse” argument.

You say she could have been an attendance draw — I disagree. How many more people would come out to games simply because one of the dancers is showing her tits on a website? I don’t object to her doing this (not that I, uh... have checked out this website... ) but I highly doubt she would be that big of an extra draw. I think the risk of losing some of the more family-dedicated fans, something I believe would be more likely, was too big, and firing her was a good business move.

Let’s also not forget that the Raptors, despite their lack of success lately, still receive attendance which ranks in the top 10 in the NBA, and in general, have great fan support. I don’t see teams with piss poor attendance like the New Jersey Nets, New Orleans Hornets or Atlanta Hawks pulling stunts like this to draw in fans. So why should the Raptors take a risk?

The NBA’s image has already taken big hits with the Kobe Bryant case, Shawn Kemp’s thousands of kids and the Portland Trail Blazers, so why add on more?

Luke Szczukowski
Economics II

My heart will go on

Re: “The power of lovely Céline Dion duets,” Mar. 24, 2004

To the Editor:
As a loyal reader of The Gazette, I was greatly upset and disturbed by the disrespectful attitude presented in this article. The notion that you slander or praise a topic, person or perspective based upon what your peers suggest is depraved shows a lack of self-worth.

I understand that not everyone loves, or in your case, even respects Céline Dion and her singing. That is fine; we are all entitled to our own opinion. What I don’t appreciate are such ignorant comments as “Yeah — I don’t know why either.” Do you say this only to show to others your lack of support of this article so they need not worry about you becoming a Céline fan?

Also, I am disgusted with you for commenting on the duets by simply twisting the song lyrics. This “skill” of yours does not give an opinion or comment on the song. Rather, it illustrates your need to not be singled out from your group, simply because you may be seen as the one with an unsupported, different opinion.

So, if this is all you can assemble on the subject of Céline Dion, as opposed to the valiant efforts you have for those who your peers deem as good singers, then you should stop right now. I would rather read something else.

Diana Lord
Biology II/English I

International robbery

To the Editor:
I calculated that even if I pay my financier $1,000 a month, it would take me almost 10 years to pay him back over $100,000 for my four-year undergraduate education in Canada. Why is there so much discrimination against “International Students?” It seems Canadians are unaware of the laws and regulations exerted upon us.

I need financial help. When I tell the university I may not be able to pay in full, they ask me to go home. I am not eligible for any scholarships or bursaries, because they require one to apply for financial aid first. But in order to do so, you must be Canadian.

Despite the fact Canadian tuition fee is a third of ours, they are allowed loans whereas we are not. But what ticks me off the most is that we are not allowed to work in Canada. We can only work on campus, but there’s a catch — we’re not allowed work study. So we can’t work on campus, and we can’t work off campus. Even worse, we are not even allowed to do a summer co-op or internship. What did we ever do to you?

Where is the logic of being prohibited from working? We can work for up to 12 months after graduation, but guess what? Canadians have work study, summer co-ops and internships. And all we have is academics. Guess who they’ll hire?

This is unjust. It doesn’t suit the Canadian image to have discriminatory rules as these. I therefore beg you, O Canada, to have a heart.

Syed Salman N. Qadri
BESc 2005 Computer Engineering

If I only had some legs...

To the Editor:
This past weekend, the legs of the Wicked Witch of the West were taken from the front of the John Labatt Visual Arts Centre. These legs were a sculpture project and took a lot of time and effort to get just right. They cheered a lot of us up as the winter dragged on and on.

If anyone knows where the legs have wandered, they can contact lsulliva@uwo.ca, or return them to the Visual Arts Centre. I can’t go home without my legs, and as we all know, there’s no place like home....

Maureen Sullivan
Fine Arts III

Royal flush

To the Editor:
After four years at Western, I wanted to thank everyone who has helped me in my time of need. I’m talking about anybody who has left a copy of The Gazette in the washroom for me to read.
If you’re on your way there, grab a paper. It could make someone’s day.

Ray Ho
ACS IV

 

 

Editorial Links

     
© 2003 The Gazette  
BluThng Productions