Career Unfair

Tuesday, April 7th, 2009

To the Editor:
The Feb. 1 Career Fair suffered from a lack of jobs offered to non-engineering students.

The fee for a recruiter as posted on the Career Services website is $503.50 for the “Career Fair” and $424 for the “All-Campus Job Expo.”

Statistics posted on the Institutional Planning website shows women dominate the areas of science, social science, medicine, music, information and media studies, arts and humanities, education and health sciences. Yet only 30 per cent of the recruiters registered at the fair Feb. 1 sought graduates from these programs. The other 70 per cent were recruiting those in engineering, business, dentistry and law. These areas are dominated by males. More specifically, 44 per cent of the recruiters are looking to employ those in engineering programs, which have an 82 per cent enrolment of males and make up only seven per cent of total undergraduate enrolment.

The fees for recruiters show (unintentional?) favouring of those occupations which are more profitable in the end. These industries have large budgets for recruiting at a university career fair with a registration fee of $500.

Sadly, however, those of us seeking work with non-for-profit organizations, paths in music, the health-care system, etc. won’t be assisted by the university.

My suggestion is Career Services should lower the costs to a more reasonable level to allow for a more diverse array of recruiters. It must also consider the program demographics so groups like women aren’t excluded.
"Carla Vendramin Claus
Women’s Studies III

Share this article on:

Facebook | DiggDigg |

Copyright © 2008 The Gazette