Western continues to win

Men's rugby, football off to semis

Tuesday, April 7th, 2009

Western men's rugby

Jonas Hrebeniuk

Western’s men’s football team continued its run toward the Yates Cup this past weekend, as it defeated the Queen’s Golden Gaels 27-19 at Richardson Stadium in Kingston.

Fifth-year running back Randy McAuley paced the way offensively for the ’Stangs, running for 161 yards and two touchdowns. Quarterback Michael Faulds also had a strong performance for Western, finishing with 253 yards of passing and one touchdown.

Defensively, while Western did give up its first defensive touchdown since week four of the regular season, it contained Gaels running back Mike Giffin to a measly 49 yards.

The third quarter proved to be pivotal for the Mustangs once again in this game, as they scored two touchdowns in the frame to overcome a 16-13 halftime deficit and take a 27-16 lead. While the Gaels made a surge late in the game, they were never able to overcome the deficit.

Western will be traveling to Ottawa this Saturday to take on the undefeated Ottawa Gee Gees, who finished in first place in Ontario University Athletics play. Kickoff is at 1 p.m.

The women’s basketball team won the Purple & White Invitational tournament this weekend, after defeating the Golden Gaels 61-44 in their final game.

The ’Stangs finished the tournament with a 3-0 record on Oct. 28.

Bess Lennox led the squad with 15 points and 13 rebounds, helping Western outscore Queen’s 37-16 in the final half.

Lennox was also named the tournament MVP.

The women begin their regular season Wednesday Oct. 31 at 7 p.m. at Alumni Hall against McMaster.

The men’s hoops team could not defeat the Golden Gaels in their final match of the tournament and Queen’s walked away with the gold.

Western’s Andy Wedemire contributed 19 points and 10 rebounds, while Adam Ruickbie added 12 boards in the 87-82 loss.

The women’s field hockey team ended its season in a disappointing fashion, losing against York in the OUA bronze medal game.

The squad finished fourth overall in the OUA with a score of 0-2. With the win York will advance to nationals.

Men’s hockey saw success at Thompson Arena Thursday night with a 6-3 win against Waterloo.

Rookie goaltender Keyvan Hunt made 44 saves for the win, with 22 saves on 23 shots coming in the first period.

On the road Saturday, the team added another tally to the win column after defeating Windsor 7-2.

The men take to the ice again this Friday and Saturday in Thunder Bay where they will play Lakehead both nights.

The men’s rugby team also saw success this weekend as it advanced to the OUA semi-finals with a win against Waterloo at London’s St. George’s rugby pitch.

The 34-10 victory was a team effort with one try each from Cory Appleton, Dave Jacks, Ryan Tomlinson, Marcus Mitchell and Jon Church.

Andrew Buxton-Foreman added nine points to the score sheet, making three conversions and a penalty kick in the match.

The men’s ruggers will face Queen’s next Saturday in Kingston, where they will battle it out for a spot in the finals.

Share this article on:

Facebook | DiggDigg |

Copyright © 2008 The Gazette