Win secures home ice advantage for 'Stangs

Farmanara snipes shoot-out winner in 11 round marathon

Tuesday, April 7th, 2009

Mustangs men's hockey

Shaun Ding

EMILIO ESTEVES IS FULL OF CRAP, THAT TRIPLE DEKE DIDN’T WORK AT ALL. The Mustangs defeated their divisional rivals the Waterloo Warriors last Friday in an 11 round shoot-out at Thompson Recreation and Athletic Centre.

The Mustangs men’s hockey team rocked the rink in a thrilling victory over the Waterloo Warriors on Friday Feb. 6. The atmosphere was buzzing with a sea of proud purple-clad fans cheering on the team with the help of the Western Marching Band.

“It was amazing; definitely the biggest turnout of the year,” Western right-winger Keaton Turkiewicz said. “Hearing the fans cheering really got us going and hopefully we’ll keep that momentum and bring it with us into the playoffs.”

It was a physical game, with lots of big hits and a total of 10 penalties.

“We like to play physical,” Waterloo head coach Brian Bourque said. “That was really a playoff atmosphere. The emotions start to get higher and the guys get chippier just because everyone wants to win so badly.”

Waterloo came out strong in the first period, scoring two goals in under seven minutes. With the band playing, crowd cheering and playoff positioning on the line, it didn’t take long for the Mustangs to respond with better defence, faster skating and crisp passing.

Turkiewicz led the way, blasting through the defence and firing a puck past Waterloo netminder Pier Pelletier, making the score 2-1.

“When we were getting down everyone came together,” Turkiewicz said. “There was no single player or any one play that won the game; we all battled back and just kept it simple.”

Mustangs left-winger Aaron Snow tied the game with less than five minutes left in the first period, carrying the puck past every Waterloo defender and then firing a shot past Pelletier.

Western kept the fans cheering by coming out strong in the second period. The Mustangs controlled the puck and their speed made Waterloo look slow in comparison.

“From our side of things the second period was a big standout. We played really well; going into the [second] period 2-2 and then finishing at 4-2 made it a real momentum shift,” Western assistant coach Cam O’Donnel said.

“Unfortunately, what swings one way can swing the other way too and the first couple minutes of the third put us back in the hole again.”

Waterloo emerged from the intermission with renewed energy, scoring two goals less than three minutes into the third period.

The Mustangs coaching staff reacted by trying to change the momentum by subbing in goalie Brad Topping for Keyvan Hunt.

Topping made a few big saves, sprawling out in front of the net amongst lots of traffic. However, Waterloo did not lose its momentum and forward Mark Hartman secured the Warriors a lead at 9:23, making the score 5-4.

“Waterloo is a physical team and they have been for years,” O’Donnel said. “We tried to play as physical as they did and we knew that whoever is going to battle for those pucks is the team that’s ultimately going to win.”

With the physicality of the game reaching its highest point, Western forward Kevin Baker tied things up forcing overtime.

The game eventually went into an 11 round shootout before Western right winger Yashar Farmanara ended the battle and scored the final goal in front of 628 cheering fans.

With the win, the Mustangs remain four points back of the first place Laurier Golden Hawks in the Ontario University Athletics Far West division with two regular season games left on the slate.

Share this article on:

Facebook | DiggDigg |

Copyright © 2008 The Gazette